- All visitors entering Laos must possess valid passports. Visa can obtained from Lao Embassies and Consulates abroad. In addition, visa can also be obtained on arrival at the international Checkpoint. All passports must valid for at least 6 months before entering Laos.
- 30 days visas are available in advance of arrival at Lao embassies. This can be done in several ways through a tour company recognized by the Lao PDR from Lao Embassies or Consulate in countries such as: Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Cambodia, Cuba, PR of China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, DPR of Korea, the Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, Thailand, USA and Vietnam. The visa fee varies from between US$8- 42 depending on the agreement with the various governments. (See below list of countries for visa fee)
For those wishing to extend their stay, it is possible to extend your visa at the Immigration Office in Vientiane, through travel agencies.
- It is also possible to obtain a Visa-on-Arrival at the following international checkpoints for tourist visa validity for 30 days in Laos: The following is entry gates to Laos:
-Wattay International Airport in Vientiane Capital (Visa on arrival)
-Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang Province (Visa on arrival)
-Pakse International Airport in Champasack Province (Visa on arrival)
Airport departure tax is all included in passenger’s airfare
-Mohan - Botene , Yunnan to Luang Namtha Province (Visa on arrival)
-Xiangkok riverport on Mekong River in Luang Namtha Province (No visa on arrival permit)
-Chiangkhong - Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province. (Visa on arrival)
-Nakaxeng - Kaenthao, Loei to Sayabouly Province (Visa on arrival)
-Nongkhay - Friendship Bridge , Nongkhay-Vientiane Capital (Visa on arrival)
-Bungkan - Pakxan, Nongkhay-Bolikhamxay Province (No visa on arrival permit)
-Nakorn Phanom - Thakhaek, Nakorn Phanom-Khammouane Province (Visa on arrival)
-Moukdahan - Savannakhet, crossing the Mekong River (Visa on arrival)
-Chongmek - Vangtao, Ubon Ratchathani to Champasack Province (Visa on arrival)
-Tay Trang - Sobhoun, Dien Bien Laichau to Phongsaly Province (No visa on arrival permit)
-Nameo - Banleui, Thanh Hoa to Huaphanh Province (No visa on arrival permit)
-Namkan - Namkan, Nge An to Xieng Khouang Province (Visa on arrival) .
-Keoneua - Nampao (Lak Sao), Ha tinh to Bolikhamxay Province. (Visa on arrival)
-Napao - Chalo, Quangbinh to Khammouane Province (No visa on arrival permit)
-Laobao - Dansavanh, Quang tri to Savannakhet Province. (Visa on arrival)
-Kon Tum – Bo Y, Kon Tukm to Attapeau Province (Visa on arrival)
- Dong Calor - Veun Kham, Cambodia to Champasak Province (No visa on arrival permit)
1. Documentary requirements
• An application form filled and signed by the applicant.
• Two recent photographs.
• A passport must have at least six months remaining validity.
2. Types of visas, Length of staying permission and additional documents required
• Maximum five days for stay (in Vientiane only).
• Proof of an entry visa and air ticket to the third country.
• Thirty days ((can be extended for two additional months).
• Visa processing should be made through an eligible tour company which has a contract with a tour company in the Lao PDR or directly through the Lao Embassy or
Consulate in many countries such as France, Russia, Sweden, USA, Poland, Germany, Cuba, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, The Philippines, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Australia and USA.
• At any International border gates to Laos for Visa on arrival.
• One month for stay (can be extended for two additional months).
• Visa request can be processed either through a guarantor in Laos or the Lao Embassy
• Visa authorization is arranged by sponsor in Laos and the Embassy can not process visas until it receives authorization or approval from the authorities concerned in Laos.
• One month for stay (can be extended until completion of your business term).
Multiple entry visa:
• Available only from the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lao PDR.
3. Validity of Visas
• All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date.
4. Notification on immigration
The Consular Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs has the honour to inform foreign nationals intending to come to Lao PDR for official contacts, for visiting their relatives, tourism, commercial or other purposes that the Government of the Lao PDR has updated its regulations on entry into and exit from Lao PDR in conformity to the present conditions. In order to facilitate Lao citizens, immigrants and foreign nationals in their border crossings, there are now 13 International Immigration Check Points in Laos, where Lao citizens, immigrants and Foreign nationals with their own Passports and an appropriate visa issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or an Embassy or a Consulate General of the Lao PDR overseas are permitted to enter into and exit from Laos or to obtain a visa on their arrival
A. Categories of Visas:
• Diplomatic visas (A1) Diplomatic visas are issued to diplomats, consular officers, heads of the United Nations Agencies and other International Organizations, and their dependents (spouse and children) holding diplomatic passports.
• Official visas (A2) Official visas are issued to the Staff members of Diplomatic Missions, Consulates, United Nations Agencies and other International Agencies and their dependents (spouse and children) holding official passports.
• Courtesy visas (B1) Courtesy vias are issued to foreign experts and their dependents holding diplomatic, official and normal passports performing assignments under bilateral cooperation or grant assistance projects for the Government of Lao PDR.
• Business visas (B2) Business visas are issued to foreign experts and their performing assignments under projects provided by loan agreements and as provided by employment contracts or project wards, to experts and volunteers of Non-Governmental Agencies, experts in education and medical sciences generating income for an agency, staff members of Diplomatic Missions, General Consulates, the United Nations Agencies and other international organizations holding normal passports from the countries or from third countries, as well as foreign businesspersons.
• Visit visas (B3) Visit visas are issued to foreign citizens holding normal passports and intending to visit relatives working in the Lao PDR.
B. Visa Status:
• Diplomatic visas (A1) and official visas (A2) are exempted from visa fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of one year and may be renewed each year until the assignment’s completion.
• Courtesy visas (B1) are exempted from visas fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of six months and may be renewed every six months until the assignment’s completion.
• Business visas (B2) are subject to the payment of mandatory visa and service fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of six (6) months and may be renewed every six (6) months until completion of assignments.
• Visit visas (B3) are subject to the payment of visa and service upon each travel in destination to the Lao PDR. A B3 category visa does not entitle its holder to work or apply for multiple entry visas.
C. Visa and Identity Card Application Procedures:
• Diplomats, Consuls, Heads of International Agencies and their dependents (spouses and children) holding diplomatic or official passports and whose assignments in the Lao PDR, which performance would exceed thirty (30) days, have been approved, will be required to apply for visas from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR according to procedures provided under bilateral agreements. Upon their entry to the Lao PDR, the relevant foreign agency shall apply for identity cards and multiple entry visas from the Protocol Department and the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs respectively.
• Foreign experts of different categories and volunteers, together with their dependents, holding official or normal passports whose assignments in the Lao PDR, which performance would exceed thirty (30) days, have been approved, are required to obtain visas from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR. Upon their entry, the international organization or Lao line agency concerned shall apply for identity cards and multiple entry visas from the relevant departments.
• Diplomats, staff members of Consulates and International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers entering the Lao PDR under visit visas (B3) without going through the requisite procedures will not benefit from facilities in performing their assignments. In order to perform their assignments, they will be required to leave the territory of the Lao PDR for the purpose of obtaining the required visa categories from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR before re- entering the country.
• Diplomats, staff members of Consulates and International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers based abroad and whose assignments, which performance would require a timeframe not exceeding thirty (30) days, have been approved, may obtain a fifteen (15) day visa upon arrival to Wattay International Airport of the Friendship Bridge in Vientiane Municipality, as well as at the Luang Prabang International Airport.
• Diplomats, consular officers, staff members of the International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers performing assignments in the Lao PDR for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days. Such period of time may be extended twice under B3 visas.
• Diplomatic missions, General Consulates, International Agencies and non-governmental organizations to the Lao PDR will not be authorized to recruit foreign experts or volunteers who have completed their assignments under a project and seeking further employment under other projects at will without due process in line with the procedures or regulations outlined by the Lao authorities.